City Code Permits ( Scroll down for Fees )
Ordinance 115: 68.1, 68.2, 68.3 (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) Permit for construction: within the city limits an in- house building permit is required prior to any construction work. Specifications to the Plan Review Service of Building Officials and Code Administrators International or National Code consultants, Inc., or other approved plan review agencies as may be necessary to ascertain their safety of design and compliance with this code, the Plumbing Code, the Mechanical Code and the Electrical Code. The cost for this review shall be borne by the applicant.
Section 114.3.1 entitled "Fee schedule," is amended to read: [Amended 1-28-2002]
Declared Cost / Permit Fee
$0 - $250 / $0 $251 - $5,000 / $60
Over $5,000 / 0.010 per $1,000
NOTE: The Sunbury Fire Department will not have to pay for an In-House Building Permit for cost under $250.00. Any cost over $250.00 The Sunbury Fire Department will be charged a $30.00 fee.
"Fee Schedule" for Commerical In-House Building Permit
Permit Fee: $25 Cost Based Fee Cost Based Fee: $10 per $1,000 of construction cost
"Revised Fee Schedule" for Demolition Permit Passed this 22nd day of February, 2010, the cost of demolition permits will be as follows:
Demolition Permit Cost / Fee: Project Cost up to $1,000 / $76.00
Project Cost of $1,001 to $1,000,000 / $13.00 per $1,000 of cost
Project cost over $1,000,000 / $6.00 per $1,000 of cost
Any new structure built in the City of Sunbury MUST go before the Planning Committee for review. The fee for this review is fifty ($50.00).
The Planning Committee Meets the third (3rd) Thursday of every month. Plans and plot plan must be submitted to our office at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting.
A BUILDING PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED IN THE CITY OF SUNBURY FOR THE FOLLOWING:
(1) Painting both interior and exterior
(2) Wall papering, dry wall over existing walls, paneling, carpeting, tilling, linoleum
(3) Repair and / or replacement of parts for a heating units, air conditioners, and furnaces (4) Roof replacement not over 25% of any roof to any structure
(5) Glass replacement to any window
(6) Door replacement of both interior and exterior. PLEASE NOTE: DOOR FRAME CHANGES WILL REQUIRE A PERMIT.
(7) Replacement of the following: Toilets, faucet shut off valves, and minor repair to pipe leakage and damage due to freezing.
(8) Tuck pointing of chimneys, and walls (both brick and block)
(9) Standard home appliances such as: Stoves, Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers, and the like. *PLEASE NOTE, THE INSTALLATION OF NEW WATER LINES AND ELECTRICAL WIRING WILL REQUIRE A PERMIT.
(10) Replacement of Damaged Siding. (BUT ONLY THE EFFECTED AREAS).
(11) Minor electrical work such as: light switch replacement, receptacle replacement, change a receptacle to GFCI, light fixture replacement (BOTH INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR).
ANY NEW BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION WORK PERFORMED IN THE CITY OF SUNBURY MUST HAVE A BUILDING PERMIT. SOME EXAMPLES INCLUDE:
(1) NEW STRUCTURES (Which include the following: SHEDS, GARAGES)
(2) FRAMING, BOTH INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR
(3) NEW PLUMBING
(4) SIDEWALK REPLACEMENT, AND NEW SIDEWALKS
(5) ALL ELECTRICAL UPGRADES AND NEW ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
(6) ROOF REPLACEMENT OVER 25%
(7) FENCE REPLACEMENT AND NEW FENCES
(8) NEW HEATING SYSTEMS, BOILERS
(9) ENTIRE STRUCTURE BEING SIDED
IF YOU ARE UNSURE THAT THE PROJECT YOU WILL BE DOING WILL REQUIRE A PERMIT OR WILL NEED REVIEWED BY PLANNING OR ZONING, SAVE YOURSELF THE CITATION AND FINES; CALL THE CODE ADMINISTRATION OFFICE AT 570-286-4207. WE WILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS FOR BUILDING PERMITS REQUIREMENTS.
The fee schedule may be amended from time to time by resolution of the Council of the City of Sunbury.
Example: Permit Fee = $25 Cost of Construction: $30,000 $30,000 / $1,000 = 30 30 x $10 = $300 $25 + $300 = $325
Codes Administration Office
225 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801
Open Monday - Friday
7:30am to 4:30pm
Example: Cost of Job: $9,000 Cost for first $5,000 = $60 Cost for balance of job ( $4,000 ) would be $4,000 x 0.010 = $40 Total permit cost would be: $60 + $40 = $1000
City Codes Fees
Housing Permits (RENTAL PROPERTY):
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
On January 1, 2006 City Council adopted an ORDINANCE for NEW RENTAL PROPERTY. There is a fee for filling for a Fast Track Rental. PLEASE REVIEW UNDER NEW ORDINANCES for the Fast Track Rental for New Rental Property.
The Cost of a Housing Permit for a rental property is $50.00 per unit. Payable by July 1. NOTE: There will be a late charge fee of $10.00 per unit after July 1 thru September 1. There will be a late charge fee of $25.00 per unit after September 1 thru November 30. On December 1, if the fees are not remitted Citations with restitution will be filed.
NOTE: NEW FEE SCHEDULE FOR HOUSING RENTAL PERMITS FOR 2011
Jan 2 to July 1: The permit will cost face value ($50.00) PER UNIT.
July 2 to September 1: A $10.00 late fee will be assessed along with the permit fee ($60.00) PER UNIT.
September 2 to November 30: A late fee of $25.00 will be assessed along with the permit fee ($75.00) Per Unit.
After November 30 any permit fee along with the late fee which has not been remitted to the Code Administration Office. The Owner of the property will have a citation filed with restitution and cost. Also City Council Will be notified and a request will be submitted to have the Property removed from the Rental Property Status. A new housing permit for the following year will not be issued until all costs and restitution are paid in full.
This removal will result in the owner no longer being able to list this property as a rental unit until an application (PLEASE SEE NEW ORDINANCE) has been remitted to the Code Office.
Building & Construction Permits:
Based on the number of electrical items to be installed. It is best to contact this office for the permit cost.
Certificate of Occupancy :
$50.00. An inspection of the new business must be performed prior to opening.
Notice of Intent to Build :
$50.00. A planning committee filing fee will be filed along with completion of the application prior to start of the job. The planning committee meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month.
$300.00. The hearings are held on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month.
(Minor) Five and fewer lots are $500.00
(Major) Five and up are $1,000.00. The planning committee must review all subdivisions.
Land Development :
Fee is $1,000.00
Example: Project Cost = $10,000 $10,000 / $1,000 = 10 10 x $13 = $130 ( +$4 State Fee ) Permit Cost: $134.00
City Code Administration